Sunday, September 24, 2006

Mark

Whilst on a walk this evening, I was stopped my Mark, a homeless man of about fifty, with white/grey hair and a wry smile that was masking grief. We shook hands and he told me his story - the snippets I'd got were that he had somehow ended up in Philadelphia, four hours away from where he 'lived,' was hungry and just wanted to get home.

I offered to buy him something for dinner at the nearby McDonalds, an offer which he declined; saying he'd rather money so he could buy a ticket for the train home. "I promise you I will spend it on a ticket." Well aware that I often misplaced trust, I err on the side of compassion, and so gave him $10, wishing him a safe journey home. "Thanks, you'll be in my prayers tonight." - as will you my friend.

Providence

No comments: